Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Potato Pancake's Galore!

These are my ever changing Potato Pancakes. Ever changing because I never write down the recipe while I'm making them and they always come out completely different from before. This time I wish I wrote down exactly what I did. I'll try to remember to write it down next time. I really need a new notebook for the kitchen. Anyway. These are made with regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and onions shredded in the food processor. Then I mix it all up with some fresh chopped parsley, flour, baking powder, oil, salt and pepper.
Then in the hot frying pan with oil they go! Until nice and crispy brown. I don't get to make these too often because of how fried and oily they are but today was such a rainy cold day that they were perfect. Crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. This time I decided to make a special condiment for the pancakes (because our apple sauce which was in the back of our fridge was frozen!).
Originally I was going to add leeks to the potato mixture but I ended up putting to much of the other stuff that there was actually no room at all for the leeks. So I created a melted leek aioli. I chopped up about 1 1/2 cups of leeks with 4 cloves of garlic and cooked it til soft in a little bit of olive oil. I dumped it into the processor and added salt, pepper, paprika and a few spoonfuls of a vegan canola mayo that I bought and never tried. I blended it all up and stuck it in the back of the fridge to cool down quickly (since stuff is freezing back there, weird). Once it cooled down and the flavors melded together a bit I tested it on a piece of potato pancake and it was delicious. It was nice having it with something else besides applesauce or tofu sour cream.

No comments: