Thursday, May 10, 2007

which is better...?



I couldn't decide which meal I liked the best to show off first. The sandwich won just because I like the picture better. So above is a sandwich I've been thinking about a lot this past week. Why? Who the hell knows. I don't eat mushrooms too much. But for some reason I wanted a Grilled Portobello Sandwich. I marinated the bello's in some olive oil, fig balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, basil, chopped garlic, chopped onion, salt and pepper and a splash of tamari.

Tamari? You might ask. Well here's a story that might turn some vegan stomachs. When I worked at an organic restaurant the nutto german chef was against vegetarian food even though he had to have an entree or two on the menu. He would add a spash of tamari to everything vegetarian. I asked why one day. His answer (done in your best german accent) "too make it have the taste of blood." I was grossed out but also agreed with him..it does give it a "bloody" taste and not in a gross way at all...it just adds an extra layer to the flavors. Back to the sandwich...

...the bello's were eventually grilled on my grill pan..red peppers were roasting in the oven...a "stain" of whole grain mustard was spread on one layer of the ciabatta...on top of that fresh baby arugula was added with the above mention bello's and peppers...seasoned to perfection with freshly cracked salt and pepa! Served with a side of homemade sweet potato fries baked healthly in the oven.



Soba Noodles with Veg and Orange-Peanut Sauce...I really can't get enought of my new orange-peanut sauce..i would eat it as soup. This is one of those meals where all the ingredients can be either cold, warm or hot. It will taste good no matter what temp you serve it.

Peter and Riley decided they wanted to be on America's Next Top Model here is there best shot.

7 comments:

Dori said...

I like the sandwich best, but that is only because sweet potato fries are my favorite.

bazu said...

I think the sandwich is a winner too- it just jumps out at me and makes me want to lick my computer screen. The apple tech. guys told me not to do that any more! I can see what you mean about tamari/bloody. (Creepy about the German dude, though!) I always feel that pine nuts give a nice "eggy" flavor to things, I bet that would gross some vegans out too!

Love the Peter and Riley shot, btw. Very "fierce" as Tyra would say...

JENNA said...

dori..i'm nuts about sweet potato fries as well recently..i can't get enough.

bazu..you are right pine nuts do give a sorta "eggy" flavor! i could never quite put my finger on that extra taste they give.

Theresa said...

Sweet potato fries--mmmm... Orange-peanut sauce sounds interesting! I love recipes that are versatile like that.

aTxVegn said...

I can't decide. I would have to dip the fries into the peanut sauce.

Neva said...

I love portabello sandwiches! I always thought tamari was for saltiness and a fermenty type flavor. Does blood taste fermenty?

Well, it sounds kind of gross but it's actually very tasty to put tamari in all kinds of things. I used to put a little in my spaghetti sauce, but I stopped that when I discoverd vegan bullions. Mmmmmmm.

Mikaela said...

I think the sweet potato fries look the best :)