Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pesto Mania!



I went to my parents house last weekend to celebrate mothers day and had a bunch of food in the house to use up. So I went pesto crazy. Above is an Arugula Pesto using 1/2 pinenuts and 1/2 walnuts (i ran out of pine nuts) Now I LOVE basil pesto! So I was never to keen on making pesto with anything else. But with a box of baby arugula left over that wasn't going to survive the weekend I just went for it. I will forever now be using my leftover arugla to make pesto. It was so good. I dare say I might have even liked it better then my beloved basil pesto.



It's not a toasted bagel with peanut butter but the next best thing. Toasted leftover ciabatta with peanut butter. My favorite breakfast.



The above mentioned Arugula Pesto



The not as delicious Basil Pesto. I had to make it in the blender because my quisenart was in the dishwasher with VwaV alfreda sauce on it that only the dishwasher could clean. I will never use the blender again. I had to use so much more olive oil then I like using and it just didn't taste the same. (for some reason the aruglua pesto in the blender came out perfect...who knows? I believe arugula just want's to be a scene stealer)

11 comments:

Theresa said...

Pesto! Chunky peanut butter! Yummy. I've never tried arugula in pesto, but I've used cilantro with almonds (so good!) and thai basil with peanuts and chillis. Pesto is such a good, versatile base food, I love it!

JENNA said...

theresa~i'm dying over the combination of thai basil w. peanuts + chilis!! that sounds so good! i will have to give it a try.

JENNA

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought to use arugula. I'm so intrigued now. I've eaten way too much pasta the past few weeks so I'm trying to avoid it for a while but when I make it again, I'll definitely be trying arugula pesto.

urban vegan said...

Hooray for pesto!

david santos said...

Please, it puts fhoto of Madeleine in your Bloggue

Missing Madeleine!
Madeleine, MeCann was abduted from Praia da Luz, Portugal on 03/03/07.

If you have any information, please contact Crimestoppers on
0800 555 111

Please Help

bazu said...

I too am intrigued by arugula pesto. I'm always met with suspicion when I make a non-basil pesto (I've tried cilantro and parsley) but they always end up really interesting! Add arugula to my list.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Whoa, I know it's *just* bread and peanut butter - but that looks oustanding! great stuff. I went pesto happy a month or so ago, making two batches, with just a little bit left in the freezer now.

vko said...

Your favorite breakfast looks like it can be my favorite breakfast!

And the pesto looks so gorgeous & green- what a good idea- argula pesto and theresa's cilantro/chile sounds ideal too.

Vanessa said...

"Toasted leftover ciabatta with peanut butter"?!
now that's a breakfast I can wake up to.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Well, I'm intrigued... mostly because I cannot stand arugula, but I end up getting some in my CSA produce box every now and then... now I'm curious enough to try a small batch... just to see...

Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

looks interesting!