Sunday, May 06, 2007

Italian Pantry Soup



After a huge lunch at Veggie Heaven on friday, then eating even more food after that and then having to sit thru Escape from New York starring Kurt Russell that Peter made me watch while I was in pain from all the food that I had consumed throughout the day I still can't believe I had the ability to make dinner. I can't believe that I actually wanted to make dinner. We hadn't gone food shopping since monday so I had to raid the pantry and fridge for whatever we had and I'm happy to say I made a kick ass new soup recipe. Introducing "Italian Pantry Soup"! Most of my soups end up having a indian or thai flavor so it was odd for me to grab the dried italian herbs that I had stashed in the back of my herb cabinet. I don't care for dried basil or oregano too much..the smell rubs me the wrong way. I used them anyway and was very happy that I did.

The soup consists of:

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 carrots scrubbed and sliced
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 medium zucchini chopped

saute til onions are soft.
add spices: how much of the spices is up to you. I would say I used about a 1/2 tablespoon of each except the red pepper flakes I prolly used 1 teaspoon.

dried oregano
dried basil
dried thyme
dried red pepper flakes

saute a minute to cook the herbs a bit.

add

1 28 oz.can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
plus 2 cans water

bring to a boil and add

2-3 cups thinly sliced kale
2 cups garbanzo beans

cook until all is soft then add some broken angel hair pasta and cook 3 minutes more. add salt and pepper to taste.
ladle into pretty bowls and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil on top.
Eat.
Smile.
Then feel really good afterwards.

You can pretty much add whatever veg you want.

2 comments:

Neva said...

Mmmm, the clean-out soup is always such comfort food!! It looks very good--more aesthetically pleasing than when I dump everything in a pot and stir!

aTxVegn said...

The soup looks lovely! I love when throw-togethers turn out to be something special.