Monday, March 12, 2007

Vegan with a Vengeance Week

This is officially a Vegan with a Vengeance week in my kitchen. For no real reason except there are alot of recipes that i havn't tried out yet.



On a pretty spring-like sunday I made VwaV Lemon Gem Cupcakes. These cupcakes just scream to be made on such a nice day. They were so delicious and easy to make. I'm thinking about making them for easter and putting an edible flower on top of each one. I brought them to Peter's meat eating anti soy family's for sunday brunch and they gobbled them up, except for his dad who is the most anti soy person around. He didn't ask if there was any soy in it but i'm sure he figured there was. In fact none of his family asked. Strange but I don't really care.



Baking Powder Biscuits with Tempeh Sausage Gravy from VwaV. I never had real sausage and gravy but alway's wanted it. Peter said you couldn't even tell that it was made with tempeh. I was in heaven eating this meal.




Stuffed Shells with Tofu Ricotta from VwaV. I'm not a baked pasta dish type of girl. Come to think of it I never really liked ricotta cheese all that much. So when I picked up a box of jumbo shells at the store a few months ago I had reason to believe I was insane. After seeing the box of shells in my food closet for all these long days I finally felt bad for them and decided tonight was the night that we would put them out of there lonely misery and eat them. I had alot of fun making this recipe. I love sticking my hands in a big bowl of tofu and mushing it all up between my fingers and stuffing the shells was quite relaxing. My only issue with this recipe was the amount of nutritional yeast. I LOVE nutritional yeast, but felt there was just a tad too much in there. Other then that we happily ate them up and have extra in the freezer for another day.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds pretty interesting...and well i'm sure things are going great too...they surely do look delicious to me...and well since Easter is also coming up i'd also like you to take a look at my blog on Easter Wishes and Greetings sometime and enjoy all the fun and joy it's filled up with!!!

Anonymous said...

wow, i love that pasta dish. looks so good! only 3 more weeks and i'll have my own kitchen to cook in. yay. :)
hope you're well!!!

urban vegan said...

VWAVis the best cookbook--everything is so consistentally good.

bazu said...

I love every recipe I've ever tried from VwaV... but I've never tried the lemon jem cuppers... how did I miss those?

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes look fucking delicious. Goddamn!

Also, I have found that any type of non-meat "sausage" tastes pretty damn great, even better than "real" sausage. This holds true, also, with bologna.

JENNA said...

wiebke: i would go crazy without a kitchen for 3 more weeks! i hope your wrists are feeling better!

urban vegan: it is the best cookbook..she has a great way of putting flavors together.

bazu: i've loved everything but one peanut sauce recipe..i wondered how i missed the lemon gem's also when i just made them...i have all the ingredients in my apartment all the time and i had never made them. i might go eat one right now.

stephen: i agree with the sausage comment. the bologna comment though i don't know. i have never had real or fake bologna and probably will never have real or fake bologna.

ciao all
JENNA

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Holy crap, I need to make stuffed shells. Those look so tasty.

Anonymous said...

hiya - i do have a kitchen at the moment. but don't like to cook here for many reasons...
my wrists are way better. and thanks for your encouragement. i did break my own bread rolling record today.

laura k said...

I love the lemon gems... Now I need to make the sausage gravy and my life will be complete.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I LOVE the Tofu-Stuffed Ricota, but we do use less nutritional yeast - definitely better...

PRETTY cupcakes too! :slurp: YUM!

Dori said...

I think the flowers on the cupcakes would be a very pretty easter treat. I love the salads below alos, so springy! I made some stuffed shells like what you picture using a recipe from Joanne Stephanik... "Table for Two" I believe.

vko said...

okay, I know what I want to do this weekend.

I must follow in your footsteps & bake cupcakes & make stuffed shells- can't wait!

Mikaela said...

Yum, yum and yum! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi: I'm a first-time commentor on you blog and I must say your pics make me feel like cooking! Everything looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

glad to hear all the great feedback about vwav, i checked it out of the library and look foward to doing some cooking
bethie