Saturday, November 29, 2008

Daring Bakers



Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting

Phew! I took like a 1/2 month break without even realizing it! What's really been happening is that instead of blogging at night I've been knitting a purple and green blanket for myself. It's taking along time.

But I make my grand return with my Daring Bakers challenge! I was really upset that I had to miss last months pizza one due to my little Reno getting real sick at the end of the month so I was super happy to make this one.

It is a Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting by Shuna Fish Lydon. I had to make my own caramel syrup for this one! It was so fun, scary and dangerous. I luckily came out of that process unscathed with the help of oven mitts and a pink plastic cutting board to protect me from the bubbling hotness that is homemade caramel syrup.

The cake itself was really straight forward and easy. I just subbed soy milk for the milk, Earth Balance for the butter and some egg replacer for the eggs. I would have like to have used some soy yogurt instead of the egg replacer but I have a box of the stuff that needed using up. The cake came out sweet, slightly dense and had a very old fashioned taste to it.

I was really looking forward to making this into an actual 9 inch round cake but when I realized that I would be bringing this for dessert on Thanksgiving I figured cupcakes were the way to go just so know one would have to mess around with cutting up a cake.

All in all this was a great success and a recipe I will be keeping for a very long time.



Host for this months challenges were:

Dorlores of Culinary Curiosity
Alex of Blondie and Brownie
Jenny of Foray into Food
Natalie of Gluten-a-Go-Go

10 comments:

Bumblebutton said...

Totally understand your knitting fixation! Yummy cake, wasn't it? Looks terrific!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

That is one delicious looking cupcake. Great job!

VeggieGirl said...

STUNNING!!!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Lovely cupcakes! I am sure everyone at thanksgiving loved them!

TeaLady said...

Hope Reno is better and glad you got to participate. So many of us chose cupcakes. Little yummies.!

Jude said...

I like how it turned out with all of your substitutions. Have fun with more knitting!

MoneyBonanza said...

Wow, check this out: http://www.lwsfreedom.com/id/greentitan

Vegan_Noodle said...

I'll bet it was the best dessert at your Thanksgiving celebration!!

Claire said...

Great job! I guess it's a good thing that you took this dessert to your Thanksgiving!

Liz² said...

eek, yeah that splattering syrup was crazy! your cupcakes look sooo delicious, as does the whole thanksgiving spread. good luck with the knitting, too, I always get the urge to break out the needles at this time of year. :))