Friday, May 02, 2008

take out or stay in



Veggie Heaven Appetizer Dinner


Believe it or not from time to time I don't feel like cooking. Especially if Reno is being a beast for 5 days straight and Peter is going out. We don't eat out much or even take out much. Our food at home taste better, is better for you and also cheaper. My sister was coming over and mentioned she got $20 for helping a friend and I told her she should buy us dinner with that $20 since she didn't want the money anyway. She did! We settled on Veggie Heaven our only local vegan restaurant in Montclair, New Jersey.

We decided that we would order a bunch of appetizers instead of a separate entree each to have an assortment of good stuff.

Starting with the red strips at the top of the plate:

BBQ Ribs (my new current obsession)
Sesame Noodles
Chicken Nuggets w some sorta sweet fruity sauce
Dim Sum
Scallion Pancakes

This was all perfect and filled a craving I was having for Chinese Food. We also ordered cheesecake (for me) and green tea cake (for nicole) but I forgot to take a photo. I love their cheesecake but I don't love the green tea cake. It's just not a flavor my tastebuds agree with, Nicole however loves it.





Hoisin-Maple Seitan


My new favorite marinade. My mom made a marinade for grilled corn on the cob that I used on some seitan while I was down there this weekend. It was great! I've changed things around a bit and added maple syrup to the mix just to give it an extra something that I think it needed. This is one of those marinades that taste better after it is cooked and the bit of maple caramelizes a bit. I need to play around with the amounts of each ingredient a bit and then I will post the recipe next week sometime.



3 Bean Salad w. Warm Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette
tester


Another Yellow Rose tester recipe from Joanna. Really really good! So colorful. Great for the hot days of summer that will soon be approaching. I can see making this on a Sunday and eating it the rest of the week for lunch or as a side to dinner.



Late July
mini pb sandwiches


I try not to buy these too often simple because I could eat the whole box without even thinking. I love them and I love the design on the package so much that I hate to recycle it when I'm finished.

8 comments:

Sam said...

I'm jealous! I wish I had a vegan place in my area. The bean salad looks amazing! The colors in it are just gorgeous!

MeloMeals said...

Wow, that take out looks amazing! It's rare that I say that too.

Anonymous said...

love that color of salad!

xx mai

aTxVegn said...

An appetizer assortment instead of an entree is a great idea! I never even look at the appetizer section of the menu.

I bought a 200 calorie 4 cookie pack of the Late July chocolate cookies. Yummy!

JENNA said...

atx..i've never seen the chocolate cookies by them! i'll have to look for those!

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

That black bean salad looks absolutely delicious! Cute crackers too. I love the picture on the box. Definitely beats Ritz ;)

urban vegan said...

Looks phenomenal. I would have a hard time NOT ordering takeout with all that lovely chow.

Erin said...

If that restaurant were in my area I'd be keeping them in business and putting myself in bankruptcy. And seriously, I may have to put a new battery in my car just to drive to our hfs to see if they stock Late July cookies. Thanks a lot...