Friday, June 01, 2007

clean out



The last two nights have been clean out the fridge meals. Above is "the people's pizza" crust topped with a super delicious ripe tomato, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and pine nuts. Served with some garlic and red chili flake sauteed broccoli. I picked up "the people's pizza" crust the other night at whole foods because on the ingredient list they wrote: really good extra virgin olive oil and I couldn't resist. It's a very very thin crust pizza which I didn't care for after the first bite. After the second bite I devoured my 1/2 of the pizza I loved it so much. I will probably alway's have a peoples pizza crust in my fridge now for an easy dinner night.



This isn't your average tomato sauce with fake meatballs. It's Moroccan Tomato Sauce w. Falafel!! I was trying to figure out a way to use up the rest of the falafel and I didnt really want to make a sandwich out them because that's my least favorite way to eat falafel. So I created this super good Moroccan spiced tomato sauce filled with fennel seeds, orange zest, onions, cilantro and a bunch of other ingredients. We loved this meal. I would make falafel just to make this dinner again.



Here is the sauce just bubbling away until the falafel is warmed through.

9 comments:

bazu said...

What a great idea for moroccan "meatballs" and sauce- a real twist on ordinary spaghetti. I see we share a love of falafel in its non-sandwich form! And you've made me really want a people's pizza! Usually, I'm not into super-thin crusts, but when the right one comes along, watch out...

MeloMeals said...

That pasta sounds delicious.. hmmm.. I have baked falafel in my freezer... I just may have to copy this!

I've never heard of that pizza crust, but I love a super thin pizza.. (I always make mine that way for the calorie content)..

JENNA said...

bazu...i'm not usually into super thin crusts either..i'm actually not usually into pizza..but i loved this thin crust.

melody...be my guest and copy this dish..it's worth it..and it's a great way to use up falafel.

laura k said...

Wow, that Moroccan sauce is such a creative way to use up extra falafel! Mmm... I can almost smell it cooking.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I think the pizza looks great! I too like a thin crust pizza.
But the falafel on the moroccan sauce is inspired!

n/a said...

Holy crepe, that looks so good! I'll take some of each. :)

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

So do you have the falafel recipe? Can you share? Or at least share a link? I have one I like just 'ok'... I'm always looking to try another - and now this looks absolutely LOVELY! I'm drooling as I read!

Candi said...

That pizza crust sounds like a great idea, and I love the toppings you've used on your pizza! Oh, I love pine nuts on mine!! :) I was never into thin pizza crusts until going vegan, now I like them!

Oh my goodness - your use of falafel is awesome! Orange zest? Did you make up the recipe yourself? You're so creative! I'd love to try falafel this way versus the usual sandwich.

JENNA said...

laura..i can still smell it cooking and it's been days since i've made it. my kitchen holds strong smells for days..but it's not a bad thing.

holler..thanks..next time i might make a falafel-moroccan sauce pizza.

cherie..thanks.

tofu mom...i got the recipe for the falafel from the new york times food pages..you might be able to go to there website and find it.

candi...i wonder what it is about veganism and thin crust pizza's? i did make up the recipe myself..although i'm not exactly sure of what i did. i'm positive though that i can re-create it again and again.