Sunday, November 26, 2006

apples, bogs, migraines and seitan pies oh my!


Saturday morning I made Ben's Cinnamonny Apple Almond Pancakes! I didn't have cinnamon so mine were All Spicey Apple Almond Pancakes. They were D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!! Peter gave them the seal of approval. Instead of just plain maple syrup I added some apple cider to the maple syrup to make it super apple tasting. They are super easy to make. I plan on making them again for breakfast and I have an idea in my head to make a dessert out of them.
After breakfast we decided to go out into nature and drove up to Skylands Botanical Gardens somewhere in north jersey. I had no idea where I was and kept asking Peter why he was driving us to our death. But we survived. Although I got a migraine because I became dehydrated. Who knew that could happen in the fall/winter. I passed out when we got home.
Anyway, we found a hole in a tree and took some photos. I like these. It was alot of fun. I climbed a tree and didn't fall out. I crossed a bog buy jumping on some stones that went across the middle and didn't fall in. I heard gunshots and didn't get shot. It was a good day. (again, accept for the migraine)


Sunday(tonight) we had Friday Thanksgiving leftovers. Instead of chard I just made a salad topped with Broccosprouts and Crunchy Sprouts along with some raw sunflower seeds. I usually don't buy store-bought salad dressings but I couldn't resist an Organic Miso dressing I saw at whole foods. It was so tasty I ended up eating the salad before the seitan pie things I made. Which were equally good. I like them better fresh because I'm weird with mushrooms (they need to be crispy). Since they were sitting in the fridge for a few days the mushrooms got soft. I pulled them all out. The sweet potatoes and the seitan developed a wonderful flavor though. Still I prefer these the same day they are made.

4 comments:

Candi said...

Ooh! Those pancakes looks great! Ben has great recipes, huh? I made a dish of his tonight too and loved it. I will have to try the pancakes!

I love the photos! How creative you two are! I laughed at how you pulled through this alive! I'm SO glad you didn't get shot!! :P

The setian pie looks great. And the sprouts with miso dressing - yum!

aTxVegn said...

We're lucky to have you back unharmed! Nice pics, too!

Everybody is going crazy for Ben's pancakes. I've got to make those - they all look so good!

Anonymous said...

Jenna, you are too funny ! I'm so happy you didn't fall or get shot !
LOL

I'm sorry about the migraine though. :(

Ben Kaelan said...

Whoo hooo! My Pancakes are taking over the world!!! :) I'm glad you liked them! Kudos on the apple cider and maple syrup idea! Even I would have never thought of that one. :)

love the pics! :)

Mmmm Seitan... I really wanna make some seitan soon... or be really lazy and go buy some :)