Monday, December 03, 2007

Pumpkin Baked Ziti take 2!



Pumpkin Baked Ziti w. Caramelized Onions + Sage Crumb Topping from Veganomicon

Forget any negative things I said about the Pumpkin Baked Ziti from Veganomicon a few weeks ago. I remade it. I loved it. It came out of the oven so creamy and delicious, not dry and bland like the last time. I made the Cashew Ricotta the same as the last with the only change being herbs de provence instead of basil (it's what I have). In all seriousness I could eat and have eaten the cashew ricotta with a spoon. I'm in love with it.

I used rigatoni pasta instead of penne this time and I have a feeling this is what made a difference. I can't explain my reasoning for this though..it's like when you remember a dream but can't get it out in words when you are trying to tell someone your dream. It's very frustrating.

For the Sage Crumb Topping I used all the ingredients listed but didn't follow the amounts because I was in a hurry.

I might make this for x-mas at the in-laws so that I have something to eat. It will be dangerous bringing something delicious made of tofu into that house. If Peter's father finds out there is tofu in his house I'll never hear the end of it.

11 comments:

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I can't wait to get the Veganomicon! All the pictures people have been posting of food made from those recipes look SO GOOD. Um, hungry now. Too bad all we've got in the Wheeler's offices are.... ice cream, ice cream, and more ice cream.

-Amy@Wheeler's

Ashasarala said...

I finally, finally, finally purchased Veganomicon. The pumpkin baked ziti is one of the recipes I've been hearing lots about, so now I've got to try that first thing.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

looks great

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

yay for "second-time's-the-charm" recipes!! so glad that you were able to enjoy the pumpkin baked ziti; and that sage-crumb-topping DEFINITELY sounds divine!!

that's too bad about your in-laws being so "anti-tofu" - maybe you could sneak it in?? ;0)

ANTM is on television tonight!! :0)

aTxVegn said...

It's looks fantastic! I don't eat pasta that much so I don't get most of the science behind which noodles go with what. I guess we'll have to trust the chefs.

That's funny about the tofu.

vko said...

looks divine and why does Peter's father need to ever know about the tofu until after he gobbles it all down for seconds and thirds...hehehe

Vegan_Noodle said...

Nom nom nom, I could eat this right up. I have so been wanting to make this recipe. My goal is before christmas. Otherwise I may have to come raid your fridge for leftovers....

JENNA said...

vegan noodle...there are tons of leftovers in the fridge of all sorts of meals..come raid away!!

bazu said...

mmmm... looks great, and you've definitely intrigued with the cashew ricotta description!

SaraJane said...

I definitely think pasta shape has something to do with flavor. There are certain things that I only want if they have angel hair and others that I have to have rotini with. Good to hear that this turned out yummy, it's one of the V-con recipes on my list.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

well I'm glad I'm not the only person who found it bland and dry-ish... I'll give it another go, with your suggestions!